Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nurse hopes to have world's first baby from a transplant womb donated by her own MOTHER

An intensive care nurse is so desperate to have a baby she has decided to undergo a womb transplant from her own mother. 

It means that should the operation be successful her child would be born from the same uterus from which she herself was born.

Melinda Arnold, 34, from Melbourne in Australia, was born without a womb but has ovaries that produce eggs. 

Her mother's age has not been disclosed, however she would only be accepted as a viable womb donor if she was pre-menopausal. The average age for a woman to reach the menopause is 52. Melinda and her husband Andrew were devastated after two attempts to use her mother as a surrogate and one attempt using a friend failed. 

They said attempts to have an interstate adoption had also come to nothing. 'Becoming a mother is something that has always been in me,' Mrs Arnold told the Herald Sun. 'It is ingrained in me. It is who I am. 

That's why I have gone into the work I have, as a neonatal intensive care nurse, so I could channel that passion into helping other mothers and their babies.' Now her own mother Denise Allen, says she is prepared to go under the knife to give her daughter one more chance. 

'People looking at her (Melinda) would never know the heartache that she carries about, but I see the chink,' Ms Allen told the Australian Sunday Telegraph. 'I also know that if anyone can do this, my daughter can.

Powered by Twitter Fan Box & Pizcar

 
Design by Samizares Todaysgist